The Jeffrey and Sandra Lyons Canadian Film Scholarship
2015 Call for Applications
Application deadline: November 14, 2014
For nearly four decades, TIFF has been committed to transforming the way people see the world, through film. Central to this commitment is our pledge to provide our patrons educational resources and initiatives that promote moving image culture. Towards that goal, TIFF’s Film Reference Library (FRL) is dedicated to collecting, preserving and presenting Canadian film within a global context; and TIFF’s Higher Learning programme provides mentorship and advocacy for post-secondary students, faculty, and emerging practitioners by cultivating a forum to enhance the educational and professional opportunities available to these core groups. An extension of both these initiatives is the Jeffrey and Sandra Lyons Canadian Film Scholarship (“The Scholarship”) for the development of scholarly contributions related to Canadian film.
TIFF is currently accepting applications for the 2015 Scholarship. This opportunity provides graduate students access to the extensive resources in the TIFF FRL for one month between the period of January 2015 to August 2015. The successful applicant will be given a stipend of $1,000 CDN, a designated office space, and the opportunity to connect with other TIFF professionals and participate in Higher Learning programming held in TIFF’s year-round venue, TIFF Bell Lightbox. The Jeffrey and Sandra Lyons Canadian Film Scholarship is generously supported by the Jeffrey & Sandra Lyons Endowment Fund at TIFF.
The FRL is the ultimate resource for filmmakers, students, researchers, screenwriters and film and television professionals. A proud affiliate member of the International Federation of Film Archives (FIAF), the FRL maintains the world’s largest resource of English-language Canadian film and film-related materials as well as a wide range of local, national and international film resources, including over 22,000 book titles, 100 magazine titles, 12,000 film and television reference viewing copies, 60,000 film productions files which include presskits, photographs, clippings, and more. The FRL has extensive Special Collections with a focus on Canadian cinema. These rich archives are accessible to those who wish to contribute to the field of Canadian film scholarship. To learn more about TIFF FRL Special Collections, please visit our website (http://www.tiff.net/education/film-reference-library/special-collection-list).
To be considered for The Scholarship, the following eligibility requirements must be met by the applicant:
- Must be enrolled in a full-time MA, PhD, or post-doctoral programme at an accredited post-secondary institution and studying Canadian film.
- Must be completing research on Canadian film. It must be clearly demonstrated through the application that the applicant’s research would benefit from the TIFF FRL holdings.
- Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada as part of their studies.
- The Scholarship will be awarded on a full-time basis, for a consecutive period of between four and eight weeks. Research must be completed within eight months of the awarding of The Scholarship. It will be completed in Toronto at TIFF Bell Lightbox, Reitman Square, 350 King Street West.
- The Scholarship must be acknowledged in the appropriate section of the master thesis or dissertation, during any presentations at conferences or academic institutions, and in any publications emanating from research completed at the FRL. Copies of these publications must be forwarded to the Film Reference Library to be catalogued in its holdings.
- The Scholarship stipend of $1,000 CDN is intended to provide partial support for the costs related to travel and living expenses for the duration of The Scholarship.
- The successful applicant is encouraged to take part in the academic life at TIFF Bell Lightbox (e.g. Higher Learning events, TIFF Cinematheque lectures and screenings).
The following criteria will be used to determine the successful candidate:
- The importance of the topic
- The originality and sophistication of the methodological approach
- Feasibility of the research objectives
- The applicant’s need for the Film Reference Library’s collection(s)
- Scholarly record and career trajectory of the applicant
To be considered for the Jeffrey and Sandra Lyons Canadian Film Scholarship, applicants should supply the following:
- A Statement of Interest of no more than 1,000 words describing your current research and how you believe the TIFF FRL holdings and resources will benefit you.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation sent directly to the TIFF Bell Lightbox from two referees. Appropriate recommenders include past or current employers, or faculty members who can speak to your scholarly work. Recommenders must state: how long he/she has known the applicant and in what capacity.
- Timeline of research project and a list of the topics you are researching.
Applicants, please submit all application components as a PDF or Word document (we do not accept Cloud hosting or File Sharing programs), by 5pm on November 14, 2014 to the attention of Scholarship Committee: Jeffrey and Sandra Lyons Canadian Film Scholarship. TIFF Email: firstname.lastname@example.org *Please note The Scholarship name in the subject line*
Referees, please submit your letters of recommendation as a PDF or Word document (we do not accept Cloud hosting or File Sharing programs), by 5pm on November 14, 2014 to the attention of Scholarship Committee: Jeffrey and Sandra Lyons Canadian Film Scholarship. TIFF Email: email@example.com *Please indicate the name of the applicant as well as The Scholarship in the subject line*
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.
TIFF is an equal opportunity employer.
TIFF is a charitable, not-for-profit cultural organization whose mission is to transform the way people see the world, through film. Its vision is to lead the world in creative and cultural discovery through the moving image.
Membership Services / AdhésionClick here to join FSAC and access Membership Services.
Cliquez ici pour se joindre l'ACÉC et accéder à des services d'adhésion.
For more information about membership benefits, click here.
Pour plus d'informations sur des avantages d'adhésion, cliquez sur ici.