The Collaborative Research Centre 1015 “Muße. Grenzen, Raumzeitlichkeit, Praktiken”(“Otium: Boundaries, Chronotopes, Practices“) in the context of the project “Immersion and leisure in the theme park: media landscapes near Ontario Place (Toronto, 1971-2011)” led by Prof. Dr. Robin Curtis at the Institute for Media and Cultural Studies at the Albrecht-Ludwigs-Universität in Freiburg, Germany is seeking to immediately fill the position of
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Fee group 13 TV-L (100 %), starting date: as soon as possible
The research fellow will be employed within a highly dynamic research environment that offers a variety of intellectual stimuli. The position includes challenging tasks in the project “Immersion and leisure in Theme Park: Media Landscapes at Ontario Place (Toronto, 1971-2011)”, which explores how immersion and leisure are connected. In particular, the multimedia exhibition strategies and leisure experiences in the recreation and theme park Ontario Place and the practices of its use will be researched. On the basis of a group of test persons who experienced Ontario Place between 1971 and 1983 as contemporary witnesses, the research project conducted by the postdoctoral researcher will examine the individual practices of using the park. This will be done in close cooperation with the research project of the funding applicant, Robin Curtis, who will reconstruct and analyse the multimedia exhibition configurations in the park.
The tasks of the research assistant include, among others
- Collaboration in the overall research project on the relationship between immersion and leisure in the Theme Park: Media Landscapes near Ontario Place (Toronto, 1971-2011);
- Analysis of the practices of the use of the park by means of walking interviews on site in Toronto in 2019;
- Participation in project publications as well as independent publications in relevant journals and presentations (national/international) in the project context;
- Participation in the conception, organization and realization of a conference within the framework of the Collaborative Research Center “Muße”/”Otium.”
- The project that has just been approved has a shortened duration and this requires a willingness to orient oneself quickly in the already ongoing second approval period of the Collaborative Research Centre.
- Doctorate in media studies, cultural studies and/or empirical cultural studies, (qualitative) sociology, or related subjects;
- Experience in field research;
- Good knowledge of software for the management and evaluation of qualitative data (MAXQDA) and willingness to acquire it;
- Interest in teamwork in a large interdisciplinary research network;
- Excellent English, basic knowledge of German.
The position is limited until 31.12.2020 (due to the funding of the DFG until the end of the second SFB funding period). Remuneration is according to TV-L E13.
For the position advertised here, we are particularly pleased about applications from women.
Please apply with a cover letter, a CV, a list of publications as well as copies of all certificates of qualification stating the reference number 00000455 by 12.04.2019 at the latest.
Institute for Media Cultural Studies
Prof. Dr. Robin Curtis
79085 Freiburg im Breisgau
Please direct applications, preferably in electronic form (in a pdf file with a maximum of 10 MB), to email@example.com-
For further information please contact Elissa Wittke at +49 761 203-98627 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org-
Membership Services / AdhésionClick here to join FSAC and access Membership Services.
Cliquez ici pour se joindre l'ACÉC et accéder à des services d'adhésion.
For more information about membership benefits, click here.
Pour plus d'informations sur des avantages d'adhésion, cliquez ici.